One of the projects from our book, The Kids’ Outdoor Adventure Book: 448 Great Things to Do in Nature Before You Grow Up, explains how to make your own birdhouse from an old record album cover. We have a video tutorial on this you can watch as well, but here are the simple step-by-step instructions.
- Plain birdhouse
- Empty cereal box
- Record album cover
- Glue (Mod Podge or hot glue)
- Extra things to decorate it with like pipe cleaners, buttons, ribbon
- Two small nails
1. The best part of this project is hitting up local thrift stores to look for old record albums. You can find a lot of colorful designs, including cute kid albums. You could also use this opportunity to make a special gift for someone. Look for an album by an artist they like. (I made a Mary Poppins birdhouse for someone who loves Julie Andrews.)
2. You can pick up a plain birdhouse for less than $10 at a craft store in their wood section. These birdhouse are simple, unfinished and perfect for this project.
3. Make a pattern with an empty cereal box. Simply trace each side of the birdhouse onto a cereal box and then cut it out.
4. Now use your pattern to figure out which parts of the record album you want to use. Try a few different angles before you trace and cut. You’ll probably find out that you can’t use every single section that you want. Or you might have to use two albums to get a really colorful finished design.
5. After you have all the pieces cut out, glue them on one at a time. Make sure you get all the edges.
6. At this point, you can go ahead and hang up your birdhouse. (You’ll need to hammer in two nails on the front and back, and then hang it by a string.) Or you can add a few decorations to it. I sometimes like to use pipe cleaners around the edges or ribbon. You can also add a note, glue on buttons or jewels or just about anything else. Have fun with it!